16 January 2012

What's Love Got to Do With It?

Rosalee Timm performs and produces ASL song videos. (Search YouTube: rosaleeshow.). This Tina Turner song is one of my favorites. Here it is for your listening and/or viewing pleasure:




This is a great translation. And in my studied opinion, Rosalee can really sign. In particular, I like how she  translates "got to do, got to do with it" and works it into the choreography. The treatment of "second hand emotion" is captivating, too. It works with the beat.

Still, there are a few things about her performance I don't understand:  She sometimes has facial expressions that seem strange to me given the lyrics. Now it could be that her translation of the lyrics departs from the word order or even from a strict interpretation of the meaning and if I could tease out more of what she's saying then I would get it. (I've studied sign but it can be hard to follow song videos because they're very stylized. Hers in particular.)

The other thing that's a thumbs-down for me is that black dress with the foofy shoulder straps. Good god. She looks better in something like the black and purple number she also wears. Regardless....

I can see there being Chuck Norris-type jokes
about Rosalee:

Rosalee doesn't ask what time it is.
She decides what time it is. 


          That sort of thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment